You are a you stay for you need a you apply
Non-EU/EEA citizen under 3 months (90 days) short-term residence permit (visa) before arrival
Non-EU/EEA citizen over 3 months (90 days) residence permit before arrival
EU/EEA citizen under 3 months (90 days) - -
EU/EEA citizen over 3 months (90 days) registration of Residence after arrival
Non-EU/EEA citizen but you have
a valid residence permit for studies issued by another EU Member State
under 1 year (360 days) mobility notification before arrival

Please note that matters related to immigration are subject to change. You are responsible for checking Migri's (the Finnish Immigration Service) website to confirm the steps you should take. 

Residence Permits 

A non-EU/EEA citizen must have a residence permit for studies in Finland that take longer than three months (90 days). One must apply for a student residence permit before arrival. A residence permit for studies is usually granted for the duration of the studies. However, a residence permit can only be granted for the period that your passport is valid.

  • You must have sufficient means for living in Finland during the entire period of validity of your residence permit. You must have at least EUR 6720 at your disposal every year to be able to pay for your accommodation, food and other needs. Read more about income requirements for students
  • We recommend that you apply for the residence permit to be valid at least a week before the beginning of your studies so you can arrive in Finland and settle before your studies begin.

A non-EU/EEA citizen needs to apply for a short-term residence permit, a visa, for short term visits up to three months (90 days).


Prepare your residence permit application in time

Start preparing your application for a student residence permit immediately after receiving your acceptance letter. The entire process may take several months. The application process for a student residence permit is longer if you submit an incomplete application, so be sure to follow the instructions given by the Finnish Immigration Service (click on the links below).

The Finnish Immigration Service

How to prepare a perfect residence permit application - Customer bulletins for students applying for a residence permit

Registration of Residence

Citizens of the EU/EEA need to register their right of residence at the Finnish Immigration Service if they stay in Finland for longer than three months. 

Citizens of the EU/EEA can stay and work freely in Finland for up to three months. 

  • The calculation of the three-month residence always restarts from the moment when you return to Finland after travelling outside its borders.


Mobility notification

If you have a valid residence permit for studies issued by another EU Member State and if your studies are covered by a Union or multilateral programme that comprises mobility measures or by an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, you have the right to carry out part of your studies in Finland. If you fulfill these requirements, you can apply for a mobility notification. 

With a mobility notification, you can study in Finland for a period up to 360 days.

Registering with the local authorities

Foreign citizens' personal data can be registered in the Population Information System. When you register, you will be given a Finnish personal identity code, which is widely used for identification in Finland. If you move to Finland for only a short period of time, your information can be entered into the register if necessary.

The data that is registered in the Population Information System is your name, date of birth, gender, mother tongue, birthplace, citizenship and address in Finland. Registration requires that you visit the Digital and Population Data Services Agency in person. You can make an appointment online. Fill in and bring the form The registration information of a foreigner with you.

If you have a residence permit/residence card issued by the Finnish Immigration Service you have probably already been issued a personal identity code (the code consists of your birth date and four characters). If you however want your address or family relations to be recorded you have to register at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. You can also register a temporary address in Finland by submitting a notification of temporary move to Finland at a post office or on internet.

DVV information letter for foreign students