Student Health Insurance
Here you can find information about Student health insurance for Non-EU/EEA and EU/EEA-students.
All non-EU/EEA students are required to obtain a student health insurance. Your insurance must be valid when you arrive in Finland and be valid throughout your entire stay in Finland. Insurance must meet the following requirements:
- The insurance excess may not be more than EUR 300.
- If you stay in Finland for less than year, your insurance must be valid throughout your entire stay in Finland.
- If your studies in Finland take longer than a year, your insurance must be valid without a break for at least one year.
- There cannot be any restrictions on the validity of your insurance. It must be valid throughout your entire stay in Finland. This means that the insurance cannot be a regular travel insurance that is only valid during trips that last a maximum of 90 days.
- If you get a residence permit for two years but your insurance is only valid for a year, remember to renew your insurance.
The required amount of insurance depends on the duration of your studies in Finland.
- If your studies take less than two years, your insurance must cover medical expenses up to EUR 120,000.
- If your studies take at least two years, your insurance must cover pharmaceutical expenses up to EUR 40,000.
Marsh Health Insurance
Novia UAS has negotiated an insurance package at the insurance company Marsh that can be purchased by international students studying at Novia UAS. Novia UAS recommends the Marsh student health insurance as it covers the basic health care needs of a student during their stay in Finland.
Marsh Health Insurance Package
The Student Insurance Program (SIP) brochure
There are two basic packages that are offered by Marsh: These packages are primarily for non EU/EEA students but can be bought by EU students if they wish to have private health insurance during their stay in Finland. These were negotiated with MARSH/SIP.
SIP Integral: For exchange and double degree students who will not have access to the national health care system here in Finland due to their length of study (i.e. students staying in Finland less than 2 years).
SIP Complement: For degree students who have access to the national health care system here in Finland through obtaining a ‘home municipality right' (considered to be in Finland for 2 years or more - a 2 year programme is considered to be 2 years in general).
The costs of these two products: SIP Integral: €1.18/day or €431/365 days (1 year)- this insurance can be purchased by the day with a minimum of €25 coverage plus an admin fee of €3.50.
SIP Complement: €0.71/day or €260/365 days (1 year)- this insurance can be purchased by the day with a minimum of €25 coverage plus an admin fee of €3.50.
We recommend you obtain sufficient insurances for yourselves and your personal belongings. The insurance should cover costs resulting from illness or accident (doctor and hospital charges, including medical treatment and hospitalisation, medication, and costs resulting from interruption of the exchange). The insurance shall be obtained before arrival, and it shall also cover personal belongings and third party liability. Students from EU/EEA countries should also have with them the European Health Insurance Card. This card does not substitute the insurances (see more information below).
European Health Insurance Card
Please bring with you the European Health Insurance Card issued by the competent authority of your home country. If you move to Finland temporarily from another EU/EEA country or from Switzerland, you will have access to necessary medical care by presenting the card. Medical treatment in Finland is provided by public health care providers, and it is subject to the same user fees as are charged from permanent residents of Finland.
Persons moving temporarily to Finland from another Nordic country can normally prove their entitlement to medical treatment with an identity card. However, you can just as well get a European Health Insurance Card, which is valid also in Finland.