Health Care and Insurance

We recommend you obtain sufficient insurances for yourselves and your personal belongings. The insurance should cover costs resulting from illness or accident (doctor and hospital charges, including medical treatment and hospitalisation, medication, and costs resulting from interruption of the exchange). The insurance shall be obtained before arrival, and it shall also cover personal belongings and third party liability. Exchange students from EU/EEA countries should also have with them the European Health Insurance Card. This card does not substitute the insurances. See more information below.


Please bring with you the European Health Insurance Card issued by the competent authority of your home country. If you move to Finland temporarily from another EU/EEA country or from Switzerland, you will have access to necessary medical care by presenting the card. Medical treatment in Finland is provided by public health care providers, and it is subject to the same user fees as are charged from permanent residents of Finland.
Persons moving temporarily to Finland from another Nordic country can normally prove their entitlement to medical treatment with an identity card. However, you can just as well get a European Health Insurance Card, which is valid also in Finland.

Health Insurance for non-EU students

Students applying for a residence permit need a Health Insurance and must attach details of their own comprehensive health insurance cover to their application. Comprehensive insurance cover means an insurance which includes the types of treatment and costs that are covered by municipal health care services and the health insurance system. It is a precondition for obtaining a residence permit that the student has a valid health insurance cover with a reliable and solvent company or institution.

  • For studies of less than two years in duration, a student must have private insurance which primarily covers the costs of medical treatment up to 100,000 euro (cost level in 2007).
  • Where the duration of the studies is two years or more, a student will usually have a home municipality in Finland and is therefore entitled to municipal health care services. In such cases, it is sufficient for the insurance to primarily cover the cost of medicines (in practice the cover extends to doctor's fees and costs of treatment and examination), up to 30,000 euro (cost level in 2007).

A student must have insurance cover when applying for a residence permit as without it a residence permit cannot be granted. In principle a residence permit cannot be issued for a period exceeding the period of the insurance cover. The student him- or herself is responsible for taking care of the health insurance being valid during the whole residence time in Finland. More information available at Migri.