Work Experience

Work Experience required for Master degree programmes

  • You need at least two years (24 months) of subsequent work experience in a relevant field obtained after your Bachelor degree
  • Work experience must be verified by employment certificates issued by your employer. Here you can download a work certificate template for your employer.
  • The required work experience can be accumulated as from the date of award of the final Bachelor degree certificate until 31 July 2023. Notice! You should submit a temporary work certificate to your online application no later than 25 January 2023 even if you can obtain work experience until 31 July 2023.
  • Degree and employment certificates and any possible other certificates will be checked for those admitted as students. If your work experience is not in a relevant field or if you do not have 24 months of work experience completed after your Bachelor degree your possible admission may be cancelled.


What is a relevant field?
A relevant field is considered to include both the field being applied to and the field of the previous higher education degree.

Do I get extra points for work experience?
No, work experience is necessary to meet the general admission criteria to UAS Master degree programmes in Finland. No extra points are awarded for work experience for applicants applying to Master degree programmes in English at Novia UAS.

Does entrepreneurship count as work experience?
Entrepreneurship will be accepted as work experience if an applicant can produce a certificate attesting that he or she is or has been covered under the statutory Finnish YEL or MYEL pension scheme (YEL = statutory pension scheme for entrepreneurs; MYEL = statutory pension scheme for farmers, forest estate owners, fishers and reindeer herders and their family members). Enterprising activities outside Finland should be substantiated with comparable official documents.

Employment is rare within my field being an artist, what can I do?
Instead of work experience, artistic activities of equivalent duration, verifiable by evidence such as a portfolio, may be required in Crafts and Design, Media and Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance, and Music (Act 932/2014).

How is part-time employment converted into full-time employment?
Work experience should be indicated in full months. Applicants should convert part-time work into full-time equivalents such that 150 hours or 20 working days lasting at least 7 hours per day correspond to one month of work. Work experience does not have to be continuous or obtained working for the same employer. The amount of work experience points awarded for parallel employment relationships may only equate to the amount awarded for full-time employment.

Which information must be included in a work certificate?
Work experience must be verified with an employment certificate provided by the employer. An employment certificate must indicate details such as the exact start and end dates of employment, the employer’s contact information, work duties, as well as working hours for part-time work. If the employment is still ongoing, the applicant should request a temporary employment certificate from the employer. A work certificate template can be found here.

My work certificate is issued in another language than English, Swedish or Finnish, can I submit it anyway?
If an original employment certificate is issued in a language other than Finnish, Swedish or English, the applicant must upload a copy of the certificate translated into Finnish, Swedish or English by an official (authorised) translator, indicating the translator’s name, signature and stamp, along with the copy of the original certificate.

I have worked before completing my Bachelor degree, does that count as work experience?
No, the required work experience can be accumulated as from the date of award of the final Bachelor degree certificate until 31 July 2023. That is, if you e.g. have finished your Bachelor degree studies in April 2016 but the final Bachelor degree certificate has been awarded in June 2016, work experience can only be calculated from the graduation date in June 2016 onwards. Work experience obtained before the graduation date will not be considered.

Universities of applied sciences also accept work experience obtained after completion of a post-secondary or higher vocational level diploma in Finland (in any field of education) but prior to taking the higher education degree. At least two years of work experience obtained in a relevant field is also required in such cases.

Does military service or child care leave count as work experience?
No, military or non-military national service, women’s voluntary military service or child-care leave will not be counted towards work experience.

What is the deadline for submitting work certificates?

In order to prove their eligibility to apply, anyone applying to a Master degree programme must upload specific attachments, including work certificates, to their online application at The application attachments must be uploaded in the online application form no later than 25 January 2023 at 3 pm Finnish time. If you have not obtained the required 24 months of work experience by the deadline for submitting attachments, you should submit a temporary work certificate. You are required to supplement your application later with another (temporary) work certificate indicating work experience obtained until 31 July 2023 if you are admitted as a student.


Back to top >>