Admissions FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions 
Educational Certificates & Attachments
Prior studies
Language Requirements
Tuition Fee
Entrance Examinations
Practical Matters


How do I apply?
Apply online at .

Which application attachments do I need to upload in my application?
The attachments you need to upload vary depending on which level of study you are applying to, you can find a description of the necessary application attachments under each programme at . All your application attachments must be uploaded in the online application form. 

Is it advisable to use a fee-charging agency to help with my application process?
No, it is not recommended to use a fee-charging agency to submit your application for you. As an applicant you should always submit your own online application. You should always use your own contact information and e-mail address to ensure that you receive all the necessary information directly from the admissions services. If you need help with your application please contact our Admissions Services.

Do I have to pay tuition fee 2022?
For information about the tuition fee liability, please check the Am I required to pay tuition fees? section at Studyinfo. 

Am I eligible?
Please follow the instructions and submit the required application attachments within the given deadlines. Your eligibility will be assessed based on the application and application attachments (i.e. educational qualifications) you upload in the online application form. A decision on eligibility will be made once you have applied.  

How are applicants admitted?
Applicants are admitted based on their success in the entrance examinations/e-interviews. If study places become available later, applicants on the waiting list will be admitted in the order indicated by their admission points. No applicants are admitted without having passed the entrance examination/e-interviews. If you have a failed result in the entrance examination/e-interview, you cannot be admitted as a student and you will not be on a waiting list.

Back to top >>


How will I know which educational certificates I need to upload?
You can find a summary of the required application attachments under the programme specific page on

Which attachments should I apply with for Bachelor’s level studies?
The general eligibility requirement is a upper secondary school certificate (usually completed between the ages of 15-18) and you should upload a copy of your upper secondary school certificate in the online application form. You are also eligible with a certificate from a higher level of education (Associate, Bachelor, Master or other University level). Some programmes have specific requirements, check the programme specific  page on

Which attachments should I apply with for Master’s level studies?
You should apply with your Bachelor degree certificate. You should always upload a photocopy of your transcript of records from your Bachelor level studies as well, so that we can verify that your completed studies are in a related field. When applying for Master’s level studies at UAS’s in Finland 2 years (24 months) of full-time work experience in a related field is required after the completion of your Bachelor degree. Therefore you should also upload copies of your work certificates proving your work experience issued by your employer. All Master degree programmes have a mandatory pre-task, please upload it according to the specified deadline. 

My application attachment is not issued in English, Swedish or Finnish. What should I do?
In addition to copies of the attachments in the original language, each applicant must upload copies of the application attachments translated into Finnish, Swedish or English by an official (authorized) translator to the online application form, if the original document is in none of these languages. An official translation includes the name, signature and stamp of the official translator. The Finnish Association of Translators and Interpreters provides a search engine for authorized translators in Finland.

Back to top >>


I already have a degree from my home country. Do I need to study at Novia UAS?
If you already have a degree from your home country you can apply for recognition of your degree at the National Board of Education. Some professions are regulated in Finland. Health care professions are regulated by Valvira, you can apply for recognition of health care professions at Valvira's website. Maritime professions are regulated in Finland by Traficom, you can apply for recognition of your maritime profession at Traficom's website. Valvira or Traficom can give you a license to practice your profession in Finland or they can recommend that you study some more. All of our graduates can get licenses to practice their professions, if their profession is regulated in Finland. If you need to study some more to obtain the right to practice your profession you are welcome to apply to Novia UAS. Novia will accredit your previous knowledge and studies, and you can continue from your level of competence.

I have completed some courses in the field I am applying to. Can Novia accredit courses?
Yes. If you have studied courses within the field you are applying to you can get them accredited by the Head of the Degree Programme after you are admitted to the programme, if the course(s) correspond to the curriculum. There may be some testing involved before credits can be approved. The accreditation is usually done in the beginning of the studies, all students will then get an individual study plan based on their competence level. The Admissions Service does not accredit courses. The application process is the same regardless of your previous knowledge.

Back to top >>


Do I need an English language certificate to be eligible for Bachelor level studies?
No. Your English language skills will be tested during the entrance examination.

Do I need an English language test to be eligible for Master’s studies?
No. Your English language skills will be tested during the entrance examination.

What are the English language test requirements?
You need to have good English language skills. Your language skills will be tested in the entrance examination(s). A separate language test is not necessary in the application. In order to be successful in your studies, your English language skills should be at least level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). The applicants’ language proficiency is assessed in the entrance examination. For a more detailed description of the examination, see the programme specific page.

Do I need Finnish/Swedish language in the Degree programmes?
In some degree programmes you need language skills in the domestic languages Swedish/Finnish. For example Nursing students must show their ability to interact with patients in Finnish/Swedish before their first period of work practice which takes place during the second year of study. 


Back to top >>


Who is required to pay the tuition fee?
You find information about whom is required to pay tuition fees and exempting documents in the Am I required to pay tuition fees? section at Studyinfo.

How much is the tuition fee at Novia UAS?
The tuition fee for each degree programme is available at our website for tuition fees. There is also a scholarship system in place for students required to pay the tuition fee.

When is the deadline for paying the tuition fee?
For new students the payment is due in connection with accepting the study place. To be entitled to the early bird tuition fee for your first study year/first semester, you must pay the tuition fee no later than 31 May. 

What are the payment methods for the tuition fee?
You can pay through our payment service Paytrail. The most common credit cards are acceptable as well as bank transfer within Finland.

Where can I pay the tuition fee? 
You can pay the tuition fee at

Can I pay the tuition fee in installments?
Yes, you can pay the tuition fee in two installments, one payment for each semester. The amount is half of the annual tuition fee.  

Back to top >>


Are the entrance examinations arranged abroad?
No, there will not be any entrance examinations arranged abroad in 2022. Instead, entrance examinations will be arranged online for all English degree programmes. 

Can I take the entrance examination at a Finnish Embassy?
No, Novia UAS does not arrange entrance examinations at Embassies.

Is the entrance examination free of charge?
Yes, it is free to participate in the entrance examinations in Finland. There may be a small fee in connection to taking an examination outside Finland. The applicant is responsible for all travel arrangements/costs as well as visa arrangements/costs in connection to the entrance examination.

Can I take the entrance examination without an invitation e-mail?
No. Only invited applicants can take part in the entrance examination. For most Bachelor degree programmes, all applicants will be invited to the entrance examination. For the Master degree programmes, only eligible applicants with an approved pre-task will be invited to the entrance examination. 

How will I know if I am invited to the entrance examination/e-interview?
Applicants invited to the entrance examination, will receive an invitation by e-mail. Some degree programmes have a mandatory pre-task which must be approved in order to be invited to the entrance examination. The invitation e-mail will inform you of the time and location of the entrance examination/e-interview. The invitation e-mail will also state which materials you need to bring with you to the examination venue.

Can individual arrangements be made at the entrance examination?
If you are in need of special arrangements during the entrance examinations please see our information about accessibility. The application for special arrangements should be submitted no later than 26 January 2022.

When will I know if I was successful in the entrance examination and if I will be admitted?
The admission results will be published from mid-April.

Back to top >>


Is it free to study at Novia?
Non-EU/EEA students are required to pay tuition fees. The tuition fee is set per degree programme per academic year. You may also have to purchase some study materials and books. Read about student discounts, cost of living etc. in our section for Financial issues

How do I get a student visa/residence permit?
When you have been admitted as a student you can apply for a student visa/residence permit at the Finnish Immigration Service. The requirements are that a student has sufficient funds to support themselves for an entire year (6720 EUR) and a health insurance to cover any health costs during your stay in Finland. 

Does your University of Applied Sciences offer scholarships?
Yes, there is a scholarship system in place for students required to pay the tuition fee at Novia UAS. 

What is student life like in Finland at Novia?
Please check our section for Student life, where we have collected information about accommodation, working, immigration etc. 

I was accepted as a student to Novia. What should I do to register?
If you were admitted as a student to Novia and want to accept your study place, you should accept your study place online in the My Studyinfo service no later than 15 July 20212at 3 pm. Information for new students regarding the study start 2022 will be published during the spring/summer. Please contact the Admissions Services if you have any questions.

Can I postpone the beginning of my studies?
You can register as non-attending (absent) for the first academic year only for the following reasons: 1) if you are unable to begin your studies due to illness or disability, 2) maternity leave, paternity leave or parental leave, or 3) completion of military service, civilian service or voluntary military service for women in Finland. Please check Registration for Attendance or Non-Attendance for more information.

Back to top >>