Registration for Attendance or Non-Attendance

Registration for the academic year is compulsory

A student must register attendance (presence) or non-attendance (absence) for every academic year/every semester. The registration must be done either for the full academic year or only for one semester during the period specified by the UAS. Attendance registration guarantees the student’s enrolment and right to attend courses. For the first study year, you register for attendance or non-attendance in the My Studyinfo-Service after you have accepted your study place.

Please note that if you are a fee-paying student or your admission is conditional, you cannot register before you have paid the tuition fee or the condition for your conditional admission has been removed. Students required to pay tuition fee, will be notified by e-mail when they can register for attendance.  

Registration for non-attendance during the first year

According to the Polytechnics Act, a first-year student may register as non-attending (absent) for the academic year for the following reasons only:

  • Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
  • Maternity, paternity or parental leave
  • The student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.

The following documents that prove the legal grounds for your absence must be submitted:

  • Finnish call-up order for military service, non-military service or women's voluntary military service.
  • Certificate from the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (KELA) regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy, or corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave.
  • Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate.

The documents must be submitted in Finnish, Swedish or English.

Please notice that if you would like to postpone the start of your studies due to not being granted a student residence permit, you should register as attending (present) as this is not one of the three reasons mentioned above. If this is the case, please see below (check of original certificates).

If in any doubt about whether your personal circumstances make it acceptable for you to postpone the start of your studies (register non-attendance), you should contact the Admissions Services. The Admissions Services can advise you in detail about the procedures and required documentation in this matter.