For studies in Finland that take longer than three months (90 days), a non-EU/EEA citizen must apply for a student residence permit before arrival. Citizens of the EU/EEA countries are not required to acquire a residence permit, however, they need to register their residence in Finland.

For short term visits, for example studies that takes less than three months (90 days) or participation in an entrance examination, a non-EU/EEA citizen needs to apply for a short-term residence permit, a visa.

Start preparing your application for a student residence permit immediately after receiving your acceptance letter. The entire process may take several weeks. The application process for a student residence permit is longer if you submit an incomplete application, so be sure to follow the instructions given by the Finnish Immigration Service (click on the links below).

Notice to degree students

The Finnish Immigration Service