For studies in Finland that take longer than three months (90 days), a non-EU/EEA citizen must apply for a student residence permit before arrival. A residence permit for studies is usually granted for the duration of the studies. However, a residence permit can only be granted for the period that your passport is valid. 

You must have sufficient means for living in Finland during the entire period of validity of your residence permit. You must have at least EUR 6720 at your disposal every year to be able to pay for your accommodation, food and other needs. Read more about income requirements for students.

Citizens of the EU/EEA countries are not required to acquire a residence permit, however, they need to register their residence in Finland.

For short term visits, for example studies that takes less than three months (90 days) or participation in an entrance examination, a non-EU/EEA citizen needs to apply for a short-term residence permit, a visa.

Start preparing your application for a student residence permit immediately after receiving your acceptance letter. The entire process may take several months. The application process for a student residence permit is longer if you submit an incomplete application, so be sure to follow the instructions given by the Finnish Immigration Service (click on the links below).

The Finnish Immigration Service

How to prepare a perfect residence permit application - Customer bulletins for students applying for a residence permit