ARONIA, Coastal Zone Research Team
+358 (0)19 224 8409
+358 (0)50 541 2905
I am working as a senior researcher at Aronia since May 2011, but I have been at Aronia since the start of the XCoastal Zone Research team since the start in 2008. In 2008 I was employed as a post-doctoral researcher by the Finnish Academy of Science. Since autumn 2011 I also work as a Research and Development manager on the Raseborg Campus of Novias University of Applied Sciences. My research interests span from making research part of everyday life for society as a whole, to developing methods for the conservation of species, habitats, and important ecosystem processes.
- Ecosystem services connected to the production of local foods. Research project within the Bra Mat i Västnyland (Good Food in Western Uusimaa)-project. Supervising PhD-student Pieter Deleu (Pieter.firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ecosystem services and greenhouse-gas footprints on islands in Sweden, Finland and Estonia. Research advisor in the Green Islands project together with Dr. Kajsa Mellbrand (email@example.com) and Dr Rolf Holmberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Traditional Rural Biotopes (TRB) and their conservation as part of a social-ecological framework. Supervising PhD-student Traci Birge (email@example.com)
- Climate Change and trait based modeling in the iCCB programme (integrated Climate Change Biology)
- Reintroducing the Apollobutterfly into the Ekenäs archipelago. Experimental setup looking at factors behind successful reintroductions (2009-2011)
- Variation in egg-laying behavior in a threatened butterfly; populationeffects, heritability and conservation (Post doctoral project financed by the Finnish Academy ended 31.12 2010)
- Population effects of varying habitat quality via resource allocation in a threatened butterfly
- The effects of resource distribution and abundance on the population structure and dynamics in Parnassius apollo (Doctoral thesis 2004)
Other scientific activities
- Secretary in the Finnish national IUBS-committee (International Union for Biological Sciences) 2009-2013
- Secretary in the international iCCB-programme (integrated Climate Change Biology) in IUBS
- Member of the board in Societas pro Fauna et Flora Fennica
Participation in development projects
- Bra Mat i Västnyland-Good Food in Western Uusimaa, research supervisor and chairperson of the steering group (SG).
- Green Islands, research supervisor and member of SG
Other ideas I am working with
- Greening the local hospital
- Developing parks and gardens in Ekenäs towards sustainability and quantifying ecosystem services coupled to them.
Birge, T. and Fred, M.S. (2011) New ideas for old landscapes: using a social-ecological approach for conservation of traditional rural biotopes - a case study from Finland. Europ. Countrys. 2, 133-149. DOI: 10.2478/v10091-011-0008-x
Polly, P.D., Eronen, J.T., Fred, M., Dietl, G.P., Mosbrugger, V., Scheidegger, C., Frank, D.C., Damuth, J., Stenseth, N-C. and Fortelius, M. (2011) History matters: ecometrics and integrative climate change biology. Proc. R. Soc. B published online January 12 2011 doi: 10.1098/rspb.2010.2233.
Eronen, J.T., Polly, P.D., Fred, M., Damuth, J., Frank D.C., Mosbrugger, V., Scheidegger C., Stenseth N-C, and Fortelius M. (2010) Ecometrics: The traits that bind the past and present together. Integrative Zoology 5, 88-101.
Fred, M.S., Brommer, J.E. (2010) Olfaction and vision in host plant location by Parnassius apollo larvae; consequences for survival and dynamics. Animal Behaviour 79, 313-320
Fred, M. S. and Brommer, J.E. (2009) Resources influence dispersal and population structure in an endangered butterfly. Journal of Insect Conservation 2, 176-182.
Brommer, J.E. and Fred, M.S. (2007) Accounting for possible detectable distances in a comparison of dispersal: Apollo dispersal in different habitats. Ecological modelling, 209, 407-411. Abstract
Fred, M.S., O'Hara, R.B., and Brommer, J.E. (2006) Consequences of the spatial configuration of resources for the distribution and dynamics of the endangered Parnassius apollo butterfly. Biological Conservation, 130; 183-192. Abstract
Fred, M.S., O'Hara, R.B., and Brommer, J.E. (2006) Consequences of the spatial configuration of resources for the distribution and dynamics of the endangered Parnassius apollo butterfly. Biological Conservation, 130; 183-192. PDF
Fred, M.S & Brommer, J.E (2003) Influence of habitat quality and patch size on occupancy and persistence in two populations of the Apollo butterfly (Parnassius apollo). Journal of insect conservation 7; 85-98. Abstract
Brommer, J.E. & Fred, M.S. (1999) Movement of the Apollo butterfly (Parnassius apollo) related to host plant and nectar plant patches. Ecological Entomology 24;125-131. Abstract