Actions at Novia UAS due to Coronavirus
Updated on 19.1.2022
Novia UAS adapts to the Corona pandemic (Covid-19) in accordance with government instructions and guidelines agreed upon with other Universities of Applied Sciences. Novia strives to provide our students with as normal workdays as possible.
Travelling to Finland?
Read more about the current Corona situation and travel restrictions on the following sites:
- Travelling to Finland? Visit Finentry for the latest updates.
- Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare
- Finnish Border Guard
Novia will gradually return to contact teaching in February
The Novia UAS contingency group met on January 19th to discuss the current coronavirus situation. Novia will continue with distance studies, and only necessary contact teaching until 31st January. Starting February we will gradually return to contact teaching. This in acoordance with the government’s recommendations to the universities.
From February onwards there will be more contact teaching on campus, in combination with distance studies. The Dean and Head of Degree Programme decide which studies will be in distance mode.
Contact teaching will be prioritized for first and second-year students. We strive to have streaming options for those who cannot attend contact teaching situations due to quarantine or cold symptoms.
We will continue to maintain a safe distance, good hand hygiene, and use face masks on campus.
- Masks should be worn at all times. You can bring and use your own mask on campus. Novia will also provide masks for lectures and other learning situations.
- Studies on campus will be prioritized. The Head of Degree Programme will decide which studies will be conducted remotely to reduce the number of people on campus. Your Head of Degree Programme will inform how studies are arranged within your degree programme.
- Teaching which requires specific spaces or equipment will be done at campus or in other appropriate facilities. Novia offers students protective equipment in exercises where physical contact cannot be avoided, such as simulations. Novia will provide masks for teaching situations.
- If you have been abroad you should follow recommendations given by Finnish National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL). Finentry provides information on travel and Corona test.
- Students who choose to study or practice abroad during spring 2022 shall go through the risks and challenges related to the pandemic with Novia’s international coordinators.
- Novia continues to closely follow the situation concerning the pandemic and is prepared to act on short notice if required.
Students from other countries
- We accept foreign degree students, including Double Degree students.
- Part of the studies are possible to carry out remotely in our degree programmes in English. The Faculty of Technology and Seafaring require students' physical presence for practical studies.
- Novia will accept exchange students from our partner universities in EU/ETA during spring 2022.
- FAQ concerning admissions is found on the page for admissions.
Student events on campus
- Student events are not allowed at the moment. When it is allowed again, the organizer must notify about the event in a form, which is found on Novias intranet. Each event which is organized on campus must have a contact person, who, if required, can be contacted by Novia’s Manager of Facilities and Safety, Tommy Nyman. This applies for events after 18.00.
- Use face masks on Campus. Students will recieve face masks at the start of each lesson.
- When you visit campus, keep social distance, wash your hands with soap and follow safety measures.
- Stay at home if you feel symptoms of respiratory infection.
- Hand sanitizers can be found at the exits, student restaurants and common spaces.
Service at Campus
- From 2021 student healtcare is run by Finnish student health care, this service is available for degree students. Exchange students are refered to local public health care providers.
- The libraries will inform about their opening hours and policies on their own websites.
- Student services can be contacted by email, more information and contact information is found on Novias intranet (requires login)
- Remember to maintain good hand hygiene, follow safety measures, and social distance when visiting us!
- Cleaning has been intensified in all facilities.
- Hand sanitizers have been placed in various locations around the campus.
- Plexiglas has been installed for some of our serivce points.
- Masks and other safety equipment will be handed out in teaching situations where social distance is not possible
The Hospital Districts give restrictions and recommendations locally. The recommendations are based on national recommendations and implemented depending on the local situation.
- Vaasa and Jakobstad follow Vaasa Hospital Districts recommendations.
- Åbo/Turku follows the Hospital District of Southwest Finlands recommendations
- Raseborg follows Hospital District for Helsinki and Uusimaa HUS recommendations.
Take care of your self
- Stay at home if you feel symptoms of respiratory infection. If you get symptoms or suspect infection, contact your local healthcare providers.
- Remember good hygiene at all times.
- It is important that students and staff follow the recommendations set by the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare.
Work-related travels abroad are assessed by case by case-bases, as is the reception of guests to Novia. The evaluation is based on the necessity of the trip and recommendations of Finland’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.